Moisture & Mold Solutions for Your Manhattan Home or Office
Indoor humidity levels between 30% and 50% are ideal.
Moisture problems in your Manhattan home or business have a variety of causes and can lead to major property damage and encourage harmful mold and mildew growth.
Common causes of Moisture and Mold in your home can be:
- Water from a leaking water pipe, toilet, shower or bathtub, also weather related flooding in your home. Depending on the severity, conditions can lead to rot, structural damage, premature paint failure, and a variety of health effects.
- Excessive moisture from condensation and high humidity can have negative effects on your property and may indicate poor ventilation or that repairs are needed.
- Water can seep into your house from the outside through a leak in your roof, foundation, or small gaps around windows or doors.
- Normal activities such as cooking, bathing, clothes drying and dish washing also add moisture to the air.
All of these common problems contribute to overall high indoor humidity levels leading to mold and mildew growth. Mold can grow quickly and spread fast if moisture is left untreated, under ideal conditions (optimal temperature and level of humidity) it takes 24-48 hours for mold growth to occur. Typically you will start to see visible mold in 12-20 days, the more time passes the greater chance for mold to develop and spread through your property.
When you find mold damage in your Manhattan home or business it is essential to call for remediation services as quickly as possible, as mold can cause adverse health effects. Additionally, mold also leaves behind a musty smell and has the power to rot organic materials. For health and safety reasons, when you find mold, you should contact SERVPRO of Central Manhattan professionals and have them remediate it for you.
When SERVPRO of Central Manhattan arrives at your New York City home or office, we can swiftly inspect the mold damage and then identify a remediation strategy. The first step to containing the problem is to set up plastic sheeting, block vents and doorways, so the spores cannot spread while the colony is being removed.
Certified professionals have the training and experience to:
- Identify moisture sources
- Evaluate mold growth (visible or suspected)
- Contain damage to the smallest area possible
- Physically remove contamination
- Dry materials to ensure that mold will not return
- Perform or recommend procedures for returning property to a preloss condition
It is a good idea to inspect your Manhattan home or business regularly for any damage caused by moisture, if you notice any problems, take immediate action to fix them before they cause further damage or balloon into larger, more complicated issues. Here are some way you can reduce moisture and prevent damage in your home from water and mold.
Install vent fans in kitchens and bathrooms.
- Run a dehumidifier.
- Cover dirt floors in crawl spaces with a plastic vapor barrier.
- Seal air and duct leaks.
- Houseplants can absorb moisture from the air
- Never let wet clothing or other fabrics lie around
- Avoid activities that add moisture to the air on humid days, such as taking hot showers and boiling water on the stove.
Indoor plants that help absorb moisture:
These are perfect plants to have in your home or business to help decrease moisture in the air, with the added bonus of purifying your air of certain contaminants at the same time.
Reed Palms, English Ivy, and Boston Ferns
These plants will reduce humidity levels by absorbing moisture from the air through their leaves.
Some moisture problems in your Manhattan property may require more complex solutions, and sources of moisture may be hidden.
Consult SERVPRO of Central Manhattan for a complete inspection if you have serious water damage or mold problems due to humidity, condensation or a water leak or flood. Luckily, our team at SERVPRO of Central Manhattan is highly qualified and trained in water and mold remediation and restoration services.
We are here for you in these very stressful times, our team is Always Here to Help! Contact SERVPRO of Central Manhattan @ 718-375-2388!
Our experts will come in and assess your Manhattan water or mold problem, take the proper steps to limit additional damage. Our teams works quickly to eliminate the water, prepare the area for our advanced drying techniques, inspect for additional damage or mold and work with you to restore your property back to a stable, safe and healthy condition.